Candles in the Dark
The following was originally a character quiz for the Amber Diceless RPG. I’ve modified it for more generic games:
Generic Character Quiz
- Is it better to be loved than feared? Or better feared than loved?
- Take a Devil’s Advocate stand. Describe what there is to hate about you. What are good reasons for other characters to dislike/hate you?
- What would provoke you to murder a random person on the street? A lie? An insult? An attack? A crime against one of your friends? Nothing?
- Does revenge mean (1) “an eye for an eye,” (2) repayment with interest,” (3) “the only good enemy is a dead enemy,” or (4) something else? In exacting this revenge, would you serve it hot or cold, awaiting a perfect time and place?
- You have the opportunity to gain some information by torture; what do you do?
- Everybody has some little item that they regard as somehow sacred. A piece of clothing, a memento of some event, whatever. What is your sacred item? Tell the story of how you found it, or why it came to be important.
- Describe your character’s voice. Would you say s/he speaks with formality? Casually? Does s/he have any favorite expressions or curses?
- What does your character wear by preference? Do you wear makeup or jewelry?
- What emotions can you express in public? Sorrow? Anger? Sadness? Humour? Disappointment? Joy?
- What are your hobbies? Do you paint , write poetry or collect vintage wine?
- Tell me about your relationship with your father? Your mother?
- How far would you go to help a friend? A Sibling?
- What would cause you to betray a friend, relative, or loved one?
- Do you have any siblings? If so, are you particularly close to any? Do you hate any?
- Your character is plagued by a nightmare or disturbing dream. Describe it.
- What is your character’s favorite food and drink?
- Describe your first or most memorable love affair.
- You return to a favorite inn that has housed you many times over the years. You find that the kindly family has been threatened, beat up, and robbed. You track down the guilty party and capture him. What do you do now?
- Your character gets into the discussion of death and dying. How would your character describe the perfect death?
- What was your character like at the human age equivalence of 10 years old?
- Did your character ever have a pet?
- How has your character’s romance life been over the years?
- Describe your character’s ideal home. What style of furniture does it have? Would you have a favorite reading spot or chair?
- Your character has just finished a month-long struggle against difficult odds towards something of great value to the character. Suddenly, the final stage of the opposition turns out to be stronger than you expected, and attacks you while you are at your weakest. It isn’t a battle to the death, but it will certainly determine your success or failure. Suddenly, an individual appears that you have not quite considered an enemy, but you do not like by any stretch whatsoever.. The individual offers to help you. Do you accept? Would your answer differ if it was a fight to the death?
- Which self-improvement course does your character most need? Assertiveness training? Ten steps to a new love life? How to win friends and influence people? Organizing your life? Or something else? Which course would your character most qualify to teach?
- How would your character describe his or her perfect spouse? And as the player, would you agree? How is your character possibly mistaken?
- Your character is the butt of a practical joke. Does he see the humor in it? Does he try and get even in some way?
- Does your character sleep well?
- You’ve been beaten, bruised, and battered in a recent adventure, not to mention frustrated by a rather vile ending to the affair, a scorched earth scenario in which you were victorious, but your objectives were destroyed. You now find you have several weeks to recover your health and composure. How and where would you spend this time?
- Describe your character’s first hunt, first battle, or first killing of another person.
- Describe the community you grew up in. What was your family’s and your own relationship to this community? What do you think of this community now?
- Who was your best friend, if any, growing up? Are you still in contact with that person? What is your relationship like now?
- Did you have any personal enemies or rivals growing up? Who was this, and why? What is your relationship, if any, with this person now?
- If you are a wandering adventurer, why did you become a wanderer?
- Someone you respect but do not fear has commited breaches in etiquette with you several times. How do you deal with it?
- If your character could achieve one reasonable goal, have one non-outlandish wish granted, what would it be?